If you have an interest in Chilton County or Autauga County genealogy check out the group on Yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chilton/ or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/autauga/
This web site is a work in progress
AUTAUGA County Alabama
Autauga County was created by the Alabama legislature on November 21, 1818 and named after Autauga Creek which runs through the county. On December 13, 1820 the legislature enlarged the boundaries on the north and northwest. On January 12, 1827 the line between Autauga and Shelby counties was more defined and fixed. In 1866 part of the county was taken to establish the new county of Elmore and in 1868 another part of the county was taken to establish Baker, later known as Chilton County.
The word "Autauga" comes from the Indian village Atagi, located on the Alabama River at the mouth of Autauga Creek.
Autauga County is within the coastal plain at the center of the state. It is bounded on the north by Chilton Co., the south by Lowndes Co., the east by Elmore Co. and Montgomery Co. and the west by Dallas Co. It contains 597 square miles.
The first county seat was established in 1819 at Washington, on the former site of the Indian village of Atagi. In 1830 the county seat was moved to Kingston and in 1868 the seat moved to Prattville. Other towns and communities include Marbury, Billingsley, Autaugaville, and Mulberry.
Return to Central Alabama Genealogy Homepage