If you have an interest in Chilton County or Autauga County genealogy check out the group on Yahoo at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chilton/ or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/autauga/
This web site is a work in progress
Chilton County Alabama
Chilton County Alabama, located in the center of the state, is about 40 miles wide from north to south and about 30 miles wide from east to west, encompassing 695 square miles. It is bounded on the north by Shelby County, on the east by Coosa County, on the west by Bibb and Perry County, and on the south by Dallas and Autauga Counties.
Chilton County, originally called Baker County, was created by the Alabama legislature on December 30,1868 by taking large parts of Autauga, Bibb and Shelby Counties, and a small part of Perry County. The county was named for Alfred Baker who owned practically all of what is now the town of Clanton. The name was changed December 17, 1874 to the present name of Chilton in honor of Judge William Parish Chilton, who had nothing to do with Chilton County himself, but was chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court.
The County Seat was first Grantville but later moved to Goosepond when the courthouse burned in early January of 1870. The town was later renamed Clanton after Brig. Gen. James Holt Clanton. Other towns and communities in the county are Jemison, Thorsby, Verbena, Maplesville, Isabella, Enterprise and Mountain Creek.
Some of the families whose histories are connected to this county are: Abney, Baker, Bean, Bice, Calfee, Campbell, Chandler, Cobb, Crim, Crumpton, Culp, Davenport, Dennis, Easterling, Eiland, Foshee, Gentry, Glasscock, Gregg, Griffin, Hayes, Headley, Honeycutt, Hubbard, Jones, Kicker, Killingsworth, Klinner, Latham, Lenoir, Littleton, Lowery, Lucas, Maddox, Martin, McCary, Milstead, Mims, Moatts, Moore, Mullins, Nix, Page, Parnell, Popwell, Price, Rasberry, Ratliff, Ray, Riggins, Robinson, Seale, Smith, Smitherman, Thacker, Thames, Tucker, Vines, Vinson, Walker, Wallace, Weldon, Williams, and Woolley.
“Chilton County and her People, a Brief History” Compiled by T. E. Wyatt, Editor of The Union-Banner, in the year, A.D. 1940, Revised 1950, Revised 1975 by Carlos W. Wyatt, Fourth Edition, 1985.
“A History of Chilton County” by Clanton Study Club, 1927, Edited by Benjamin D. Roberts, Produced by Early Enterprises and Hayman Associates, Inc., 1983.
“The Heritage of Chilton County, Alabama” published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc. 2000
Return to Central Alabama Genealogy Homepage